Monday 9 May 2011

Awkward moment


Over a period of time I have had business to sit in one of the cafes in Battersea square for an hour every week of the school term waiting for Pearl to finish her dance class. For the main part I have always had the pleasure of good company and the opportunity to have interesting discussions with friends or simply gossip with acquaintances. On the rare occasions when I am alone in the cafe I resort to the company of my sketchbook. This particular drawing was made during a snatched moment whilst I waited for my friend to join me. The duration of the drawing process lasted the exact time it took her to make the journey from her 9th floor flat around the corner. The man in the drawing was on the phone and was sitting in a way that seemed to draw itself onto the page at an awkward angle, which emphasized the tension of the phone call he is making. He was trying hard to make a point which appeared to be a fruitless endeavour since from where I sat the receiver of his call was not listening to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment